Planning Rules - Ireland
Do I need Planning Approval for a detached garage in Ireland
Detached Garage Planning Permission - Ireland
Do I need Planning permission or Building Control approvals?
To help you understand these issues we detail below some of the "conditions" attached to planning permission and Building Regulations. (These apply to Ireland only) Wales, Scotland, Northern Ireland and England regulations are quite different - You should in all instances take local advice.
Do I need permission for a Detached Garage?
Detached garages are exempt structures under Part 1 Class 3 of the Planning and Development Regulations 2001 provided that the following conditions are complied with.
The construction, erection or placing within the curtilage of a house of any tent, awning, shade or other object, greenhouse, garage, store, shed or other similar structure
- No such structure shall be constructed, erected or placed forward of the front wall of a house.
- The total area of such structures constructed, erected or placed within the curtilage of a house shall not, taken together with any other such structures previously constructed, erected or placed within the said curtilage, exceed 25 square metres.
- The construction, erection or placing within the curtilage of a house of any such structure shall not reduce the amount of private open space reserved exclusively for the use of the occupants of the house to the rear or to the side of the house to less than 25 square metres.
- The external finishes of any garage or other structure constructed, erected or placed to the side of a house, and the roof covering where any such structure has a tiled or slated roof, shall conform with those of the house.
- The height of any such structure shall not exceed, in the case of a building with a tiled or slated pitched roof, 4 metres or, in any other case, 3 metres.
- The structure shall not be used for human habitation or for the keeping of pigs, poultry, pigeons, ponies or horses, or for any other purpose other than a purpose incidental to the enjoyment of the house as such.
If the work you are carrying out involves making a new access, or the alteration of an existing access to a trunk or classified road, you will need planning permission.
BUILDING REGULATIONS - Ireland
Te Irish Building Regulations 1997 allow domestic single storey detached garages up to 25 sq meters to be exempted from the Building Regulations, the rules are listed below
CLASS 1Conditions and Limitations
A single storey building used as a domestic garage.
1. The building shall be detached from any other building.
2. The building shall have a floor area not exceeding 25 square metres.
3. The building shall have a height not exceeding 3 metres, or, in the case of a building with a pitched roof, not exceeding 4 metres.